Last year, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to rent a house with 7 of my best friends. While living together we kept a little notebook of lessons learned in the house. I found the list and thought I'd share it with you!
* If you back your car in the ditch, put it in neutral and push from the front.
* The freezer cools the fridge. So, if the freezer goes out, so will the fridge.
* When living with 8 girls, be sure to cut the hair out of the vacuum after each use.
* Set a mousetrap inside a brown lunch bag. Then all you have to do is grab the bag to dispose the mouse.
* Thaw chicken before you bake it.
* If you notice there is a giant block of ice by the fan in your freezer you probably need to get that out. Use a hairdryer to melt it.
* Clogged shower drains can be a bigger problem than just clogged hair. Wear gloves, put your hair up, use a plunger, clean off the overflow drain... If your drain starts to spew up black much.. shut the door and call a plumber.
* Being hit on by your plumber is not a good thing. Don't be the only one left home and if you are, unlock the door so you can bolt if needed.
* If the garbage man won't pick up your yard waste, just make an unofficial compost pile in the backyard where no one else can see it.
* Bees don't like it if you try to sweep them up with a broom. If stung, remove stinger immediately and apply ice.
* A can of diced tomatoes is not a can of tomato soup.
* Water should drain down the sink. If it doesn't, it probably won't fix itself. Fix it yourself, or call your landlord.
* If you receive mail for someone that does not live at your house, write "Return to Sender" on the envelope.
* Flushing the toilet while someone is showering is mean. If you hear the toilet flush while in the shower, prepare to be scalded.
* Sometimes there are no free rooms to make phone calls -- if it's not too cold, sit outside. Or, bring a blanket and sit in your car.
* You are required to share the details of your dates with your nosey roommates. They will be waiting for you when you get home.
* It costs money to heat a house. The purchase of an electric blanket might become necessary.
* Getting homework done in the "study room" is nearly impossible.
* Yes, you can parallel park.
* Mowing the lawn in an unpopular requirement.
Oh and there were more lessons learned, I'm sure.
It was a memorable year filled with many lessons learned and unforgettable times.
Just like I will never forget these house lessons, I will never forget the blessing of college friends and the year spent together under one roof.
Miss you girls <3