Monday, August 8, 2011

Lessons Learned in the House

Last year, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to rent a house with 7 of my best friends. While living together we kept a little notebook of lessons learned in the house. I found the list and thought I'd share it with you!

* If you back your car in the ditch, put it in neutral and push from the front.
* The freezer cools the fridge. So, if the freezer goes out, so will the fridge.
* When living with 8 girls, be sure to cut the hair out of the vacuum after each use.
* Set a mousetrap inside a brown lunch bag. Then all you have to do is grab the bag to dispose the mouse.
* Thaw chicken before you bake it.
* If you notice there is a giant block of ice by the fan in your freezer you probably need to get that out. Use a hairdryer to melt it.
* Clogged shower drains can be a bigger problem than just clogged hair. Wear gloves, put your hair up, use a plunger, clean off the overflow drain... If your drain starts to spew up black much.. shut the door and call a plumber.
* Being hit on by your plumber is not a good thing. Don't be the only one left home and if you are, unlock the door so you can bolt if needed.
* If the garbage man won't pick up your yard waste, just make an unofficial compost pile in the backyard where no one else can see it.
* Bees don't like it if you try to sweep them up with a broom. If stung, remove stinger immediately and apply ice.
* A can of diced tomatoes is not a can of tomato soup.
* Water should drain down the sink. If it doesn't, it probably won't fix itself. Fix it yourself, or call your landlord.
* If you receive mail for someone that does not live at your house, write "Return to Sender" on the envelope.
* Flushing the toilet while someone is showering is mean. If you hear the toilet flush while in the shower, prepare to be scalded.
* Sometimes there are no free rooms to make phone calls -- if it's not too cold, sit outside. Or, bring a blanket and sit in your car.
* You are required to share the details of your dates with your nosey roommates. They will be waiting for you when you get home.
* It costs money to heat a house. The purchase of an electric blanket might become necessary.
* Getting homework done in the "study room" is nearly impossible.
* Yes, you can parallel park.
* Mowing the lawn in an unpopular requirement.

Oh and there were more lessons learned, I'm sure.
It was a memorable year filled with many lessons learned and unforgettable times.
Just like I will never forget these house lessons, I will never forget the blessing of college friends and the year spent together under one roof.

Miss you girls <3





3 comments:

  1. I loved our college house! Love our memories. Love my friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I sit trying to stall packing up to move to yet another place...tears streaming down my face AND laughing out loud at the same time. Love you girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fabulous! I am loving remembering all these days. However; I do NOT miss the plumber. I don't think I'll ever call one again, even if there is water flowing all over my house!

    ReplyDelete